Ken,
> For those of you who live in California, or who have ever traveled
> there, just how many health hazards are ?known to the State of
> California? ?  And what is the rate-of-increase of such postings? One
> would come to the conclusion that either the state of California is
> much smarter than the rest of the forty-nine states, or that CA is a
> very unhealthy place to live.

The most recent listing that I can find of "Chemicals Known to the State
to Cause Cancer or Reproductive Toxicity", under California Proposition
65, is dated March 28, 2008, and is at
   http://www.oehha.ca.gov/prop65/prop65_list/files/032108list.pdf
This list is 18 pages long....

I have read that one of the criteria for being put on the list is that
the chemical could shorten the life of one person in 100,000 by one
year.

I feel that their runaway, "toxic" legislation is a major contributor to
"CA is a very unhealthy place to live".  I frequently refer to
California as "EU West" when discussing lead-free electronics with
people.

If you can find it, I suggest reading H. L. "Bill" Richardson's book
"What Makes You Think We Read the Bills?".  Ottawa, IL: Caroline House
Books, 1978.  He was a California legislator.

I am in the process of printing out well over 100 Ph. D. and Master's
theses that I recently found on lead-free electronics in the Proquest
database.  My bibliography on lead-free electronics, the RoHS and WEEE
Directives, and the like is now 800 pages long, at
   http://www.dbicorporation.com/rohsbib.htm

   http://www.dbicorporation.com/rohswant.htm
lists my major sources of material, and has the references that I
haven't had time to double-check and put into rohsbib.htm yet.  Since
December 2004 I have collected 235 books, 100+ Ph. D. and Master's
theses, and 11,800+ reports/papers/magazine articles/web pages on these
subjects.

Thanks!

John Barnes KS4GL, PE, NCE, NCT, ESDC Eng, ESDC Tech, PSE, SM IEEE
author of Robust Electronic Design Reference Book, Volumes I and II
dBi Corporation
http://www.dbicorporation.com/

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

     Scott Douglas           emcp...@ptcnh.net