In message <000f01c8eb75$d8adf800$d600a...@tamuracorp.com>, dated Mon,
21 Jul 2008, Brian O'Connell <oconne...@tamuracorp.com> writes:

>1. What is the status of IEC62368 and the associated and infamous
>IEC62441 ?

Highly controversial. There are strong pressures on national committees
to approve the second version of the first voting-stage draft. It
remains to be seen whether the serious reservations about the previous
draft have been dispelled.

Pressures to add resistance to external ignition have not been accepted
- yet.

>Ultimately, when are 60950-1 and 60065 projected to be replaced by
>62368 ?

No-one knows. In fact, it's worse that that. The current plan is to have
those standards and 62368 in force simultaneously.  No doubt some
purchasers will insist on having 62368 applied. What the European
Commission will do about the docopocosses of 60065 and 60950 is also
unknown.

>2. As there have been several industry groups that have stated that an
>8 year transition period is not adequate, has there been any response
>from CENELEC or other national groups ?

Yes: proposals from 3 to 5 years have been received. Presumably these
come from another planet. (;-)

>3. The oft-heard quote about HBSE is that it is a "radical new
>approach". Other than a new way to draw hazard/protection/product
>dependency diagrams, what is so 'radical' about 62368 and HBSE ?

The idea was to start with a blank sheet, not to try to meld together
60065 and 60950-1. That may be more radical than the hazard-based
principle.

It's up to everyone concerned to OBTAIN publicly-available drafts (I
beieve each IEC member country HAS to release them) and make their views
known to their relevant National Committee. If you don't, you will have
to accept what others have decided for you, or, more probably, for
themselves.

Remember that those companies who have made people (many people, in some
cases) available to work on 62368 will have had many years start in
applying it to products, and very likely already have products that
comply with the latest draft.
Either we are causing global warming, in which case we may be able to stop it,
or natural variation is causing it, and we probably can't stop it. You choose!

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

     Scott Douglas           emcp...@ptcnh.net
     Mike Cantwell           mcantw...@ieee.org

     David Heald:            emc-p...@daveheald.com