Ken,

It seems like we get into a conversation about test software once or twice a
year which is good because it seems like it is a subject that is always
changing.  All of the software programs you list are good. They each have
their strengths and there weaknesses. If possible, I recommend you look into
getting an evaluation copy and try them out. Or visit some other labs that use
the software and let them give you a program tour. Choose the one that best
fits your needs. Whatever you choose, dedicate a good chunk of time for the
learning curve.

I’m not sure what tests you are planning on using this software for but the
most complex test is probably radiated emissions. I have worked with some labs
who’s initial goals are to have unqualified engineers setup their EUT and
press a button on a computer and in a couple hours the test is done with
reliable data.  In my humble opinion, it is a misconception that fully
automated, unmonitored emissions testing can be done.   I feel in most cases
it is not practical if done right and takes longer than a manual scan.  I
won’t get into details unless you want.  What I recommend is having the test
software perform automated tasks to assist and speed up the test while being
witnessed by a qualified emc technician or engineer and adapts the test
dependent on the EUT and the type of emissions it generates.  I wouldn’t
call this fully automated test but software assisted emc testing.  That way
you are not depending on the software but the training and experience of the
person running the test and the software is just a tool.  Nuff said.

As usual, I always make a pitch for NI Labview.  Whether you use turnkey
software or not, I recommend every lab have Labview and send at least one
person to training.  Labview has 101 uses in an EMC lab. If you have the time
and training you can write your own automated test software. But if not, you
can use it to control almost any piece of test equipment in your lab. Here are
a few examples of what we use Labview for:

Radiated Emissions (controls HP Receiver, turntable and mast controller, AR
Switchbox)

Line Conducted Emissions (HP Receiver, HP Switchbox)

Radiated Immunity (Switchbox, Fieldprobe, Power Meter, Sig Gen, Amp(s), Mast
Polarizer.

Conducted Immunity (Sign Gen & Power Meter)

Surge Immunity (Haefely Surge tester)

Fast Transient Burst (Haefely Burst Tester)

Calibrations:

Radiated Immunity Cal and Field Uniformity (also controls a Probotics Field
Probe Positioner)

Conducted Immunity for data from CDNs and Injection Clamps.

Normalized Site Attenuation

Insertion loss for testing Cables, Attenuators, directional couplers, etc.

LISN calibration and impedance measurements (sig gen, power meter, vector
impedance meter)

Other:

Fluke Data Bucket data acquisition System for thermal testing or EUT
Monitoring.

Labview program to convert waveforms from Scope to the format of our
California Instruments CTS test system for Arbitrary Waveform Generation.

Labview program to convert Liberty Labs antenna correction factors data files
to the format we need for Emissions testing.

Many more.

Have fun!!!

The Other Brian