Andy

It sounds like the equipment concerned does not have an integral antenna.
Testing would have primarily have been done conducted at the antenna port,
with limits adjusted based by the highest gain of the antennas that the
manufacturer declares may be used with the unit

With regard to RF exposure - compliance would have been demonstrated by
calculation based on maximum permitted antenna gains.

The manufacturer then has to state the maximum permitted antenna gain that
may be used with their system in the user manual.

regards
Charlie

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html