From: Ted Eckert [mailto:ted.eck...@microsoft.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 1:53 PM
To: Kunde, Brian; EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: RE: Deviation of Performance Criteria

As I read EN 61326, it allows the manufacturer to specify the performance
criteria for each test.  The standard only requires that equipment shall not
become dangerous or unsafe as a result of the application of the tests.  Table
2 is only an example of evaluation of immunity test results.  The note states
“…performance criteria B and/or C may be accepted provided that both the
specification and the test report highlight such deviation(s) for the relevant
combination(s) of function and test.”

The standard does require that the deviations be listed in the specifications
in addition to the test report.  If the published specifications do not
describe the deviations, the manufacturer may be considered in noncompliance
with the standard.  If they have declared compliance via the standard, this
could be an issue.  If the manufacturer has chosen not to use the standards
route but claims compliance with the essential requirements of the directive,
you may have an argument if the peripheral is not suitable for its intended
use because of the deviation.

I agree with David Spencer; you are the customer and the vendor needs to meet
your requirements if they want you to buy their products.

Ted Eckert

Compliance Engineer

Microsoft Corporation

ted.eck...@microsoft.com

The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my
employer.