In message
<54ffbe24c443bc45b8deb804650d2d2b0592a...@ct11exm64.ds.mot.com>, dated
Tue, 3 Aug 2010, Elliott Mac-FME001 <fme...@motorola.com> writes:

>I may be able to fit one in my building but may not be able to
>electrically isolate the chamber from the parent building structure
>[will be touching the ceiling at points]

Only metal-to-metal contact matters at all. Can you not introduce even a
thin but robust layer of insulation? An intermittent contact may produce
random electrical noise inside the box.

>If we put 1 very good ground connection the thought is that any surface
>currents introduced to the shield will follow the path of least
>impedance and go to ground there and not cause standing waves in the
>chamber.

In principle, there is no such thing as a 'very good ground connection'
unless your chamber stands in a swamp!  Any wired connection has enough
inductance at radio-frequencies to represent a significant impedance.
What do you expect the ground connection to do?

An *isolated* metal box is not likely to have any current flowing on its
inside surface due to external sources at frequencies where the skin
depth is less than the thickness of the metal. Grounding the outside
surface may *increase* currents in it rather than decrease them.

Think of the box as one plate of a capacitor, the other being the Earth.
It acts as an antenna, so it has a voltage to Earth over the
radio-frequency band. This has no effect inside the box, which is a
Faraday shield.  But if you connect it to Earth, current flows in the
outside surface and some leaks inside at low radio frequencies where the
skin effect does not prevent it.

If at first you don't succeed, delegate.
But I support unbloated email http://www.asciiribbon.org/

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@socal.rr.com>