In message <16641305538561692815456@IMAC8632>, Jon Francis
<jfran...@voltech.com> writes
>My understanding (happy to be corrected) of the reasons for harmonic
>current control are:
>
>1/ Limiting voltage distortion
>
>2/ Limiting apparent power requirements.
>Since transmission and generating capacity is rated in VA (kVA
>transformers, Isquared R losses in lines) rather than watts, then
>harmonic current that contributes to VA but not to Watts requires
>increased utility capacity for no extra true power delivered.

I have several times suggested 2/ as a reason; the I^2R losses represent
an economic loss to the industry, but the supply industry experts say it
is not a significant issue.

It is significant at the product level if the poor power factor results
in a current exceeding common wall-socket ratings.
--
This is my travelling signature, adding no superfluous mass.
John M Woodgate

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@socal.rr.com>