From:   John Woodgate <j...@jmwa.demon.co.uk>
To:     EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Date:   02/06/2010 02:55 AM
Subject:        Re: [PSES] Agency Probes Gas Pedals' Link to EMI

________________________________

In message <c7927e83.658c2%ken.ja...@emccompliance.com>, dated Sat, 6
Feb 2010, Ken Javor <ken.ja...@emccompliance.com> writes:

>But that's like saying, yes it is possible that it will rain in Death
>Valley, when inquiring if damage to a domicile might have been caused
>by a hurricane.

I was pointing out that the question demanded such a response and was
therefore not the right question.

>The real question, given present automotive EMI standards, is "What is
>the probability that a real world threat exceeded the stress levels
>imposed during radiated susceptibility qualification (which runs 100
>V/m or higher to my knowledge)?"

Yes, that's close enough to the right question.

I'm not familiar with the European requirements, which are embodied in
the Automotive Directive, not in standards. But I understand that they
are very stringent. A few significant problems were experienced prior to
the Directive, some involving rural roads exposed to very high RF field
strengths from nearby broadcast transmitters.

Nevertheless, no amount of testing, however stringent and
well-implemented, can foresee all possibilities, because the
micro-environment in the vehicle can be affected by the owner. For
example, a metal box without a lid might act as a resonant cavity and
produce a local highly-intensified field strength close to an
electronics box hidden behind a side panel of the vehicle interior.
I should be disillusioned, but it's not worth the effort.

<http://www.ieeecommunities.org/emc-pstc>

Website:  http://www.ieee-pses.org/ <http://www.ieee-pses.org/>
<http://listserv.ieee.org/request/user-guide.html>
List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html
<http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html>

Scott Douglas <emcp...@socal.rr.com>

This email has been scanned for SPAM content and Viruses by the MessageL
abs Email Security System.

All emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@socal.rr.com>

Jim Bacher <j.bac...@ieee.org>
David Heald <dhe...@gmail.com>