From: emc-p...@ieee.org [mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org] On Behalf Of Ted Eckert
Sent: Friday, February 05, 2010 12:29 PM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: RE: Agency Probes Gas Pedals' Link to EMI

Toyota wants to blame the company in Indiana, CTS Corporation.  However, I
believe that this isn’t the proper approach.

1. The problem may have occurred before CTS started making the accelerator
pedal assemblies.  Toyota has had unintended acceleration issues for quite a
while with it only recently being publicized.

2. If EMI is an issue, it may have nothing to do with CTS.  CTS only makes the
mechanical assembly, not the electronics.

3. CTS manufactured the assembly to Toyota’s design and specification.
Toyota reviewed the parts and performed incoming inspection.

I spent time in a rubber vulcanization facility in Fort Wayne, Indiana.  The
plant made the rubber gaskets for doors, sun roofs and trunk lids.  It
supplied Ford, Toyota and Honda.  Toyota regularly rejected shipments because
they didn’t meet the incoming inspection requirements.  The same would have
happened if the accelerator assemblies didn’t meet Toyota specifications.

You can call it a questionable part, but it isn’t the manufacturer’s fault
unless they were violating Toyota’s specifications and intentionally
deceiving Toyota.  Every indication is that the parts were made exactly as
Toyota had specified.

I am not trying to be too negative towards Toyota.  I am only stating that the
manufacturer of a product has the ultimate responsibility for the problem.
Passing the blame isn’t going to fix things.

Ted Eckert

Compliance Engineer

Microsoft Corporation

ted.eck...@microsoft.com

The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my
employer.