From: Ken Javor <ken.ja...@emccompliance.com>
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Sent: Sat, February 6, 2010 3:03:47 AM
Subject: Re: Agency Probes Gas Pedals' Link to EMI

But that's like saying, yes it is possible that it will rain in Death
Valley, when inquiring if damage to a domicile might have been caused by a
hurricane.

The real question, given present automotive EMI standards, is "What is the
probability that a real world threat exceeded the stress levels imposed
during radiated susceptibility qualification (which runs 100 V/m or higher
to my knowledge)?"

A related question is, how well was the radiated/conducted susceptibility
test pass/fail criteria monitoring system designed?

A well-designed test would have pre-determined pass/fail limits imposed and
any excursion outside these boundaries would be automatically detected (no
human in the detection loop) and flagged.

NOT saying this was the case here - no idea about that - just using this
issue as an example of the fact that every EMI standard of which I am aware
leaves completely uncontrolled the issue of assessing
susceptibility/immunity.  While it is obvious that specific conditions
cannot be levied in the general case, that is no excuse for not requiring
automated detection/flagging so that the quality of the test is not resting
on the unflagging vigilance of some poor sap with his/her eyeball glued to
an oscilloscope or DMM display, eight hours a day, five days a week.

Spending $300 US an hour and days on end doing a test whose ultimate
validity rests on such a shaky foundation is utter folly.

That said, I serve on various standard-generating committees and have never
convinced one to take this on and put teeth in it.

Ken Javor

Phone: (256) 650-5261

> From: John Woodgate <j...@jmwa.demon.co.uk>
> Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 07:21:42 +0000
> To: <EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
> Subject: Re: Agency Probes Gas Pedals' Link to EMI
>
> In message <DB013042D97E40228C280F9506B00198@christopher>, dated Sat, 6
> Feb 2010, Chris Wells <radioactive55...@comcast.net> writes:
>
>> Could EMI interfere with communications between throttle sensor to CPU
>> or CPU to motor?
>
> By definition! It isn't EMI if it doesn't. Even when replacing 'EMI'
> with 'EM disturbance', it's still true, because there is no limit to the
> strength of a disturbance and nothing using electrical conduction has
> infinite immunity.
> --
> OOO - Own Opinions Only. Try www.jmwa.demon.co.uk and www.isce.org.uk
> John Woodgate, J M Woodgate and Associates, Rayleigh, Essex UK
> I should be disillusioned, but it's not worth the effort.
>
> -
> discussion list. To post a message to the list, send your e-mail to
> <emc-p...@ieee.org>

> http://www.ieeecommunities.org/emc-pstc
> Graphics (in well-used formats), large files, etc. can be posted to that URL.
>
> Website:  http://www.ieee-pses.org/
> Instructions:  http://listserv.ieee.org/request/user-guide.html
> List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

> Scott Douglas <emcp...@socal.rr.com>
> Mike Cantwell <mcantw...@ieee.org>
>
> For policy questions, send mail to:
> Jim Bacher:  <j.bac...@ieee.org>
> David Heald: <dhe...@gmail.com>

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@socal.rr.com>

All emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@socal.rr.com>

Jim Bacher <j.bac...@ieee.org>
David Heald <dhe...@gmail.com>