I believe it was spearheaded by the utility companies so they did not have to
spend the money to adapt to the changing power needs of technology.

From: emc-p...@ieee.org [mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org] On Behalf Of Ralph McDiarmid
Sent: Friday, May 22, 2009 1:16 PM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: RE: 120V mains voltage distortion

Why did the members of the EU decide that harmonic currents needed to be
controlled for appliances?   I can see doing so might reduce the need to
oversize the low-voltage distribution infrastructure to accommodate the
increase in Apparent Power demand.

Ralph McDiarmid, AScT
Compliance Engineering Group
Xantrex Technology Inc