Hi Peter,

While the NRTL program and NRTL approval is used by a variety of local
AHJs, employers and retailers, the program was developed by OSHA for
OSHA's purposes.

OSHA requires certain types of equipment
(http://www.osha.gov/dts/otpca/nrtl/prodcatg.html) to be approved by
an NRTL.  Electrical equipment must be "Acceptable" to the Assistant
Secretary of Labor as defined in 29 CFR 1910.399
(http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2011-title29-vol5/pdf/CFR-2011-title29-vol5-sec1910-399.pdf).
1910.399 provides three options to comply 1) Approval by an NRTL, 2)
Approval by another regulatory body if it is of a type of equipment
that no NRTL will approve or 3) Approval my the manufacturer if the
product is custom made.  Most equipment manufactured would not meet
the requirements of options 2 or 3, so it would need to be approved by
an NRTL.

OSHA's authority in this area is limited to the employer, as such, the
burden of complying with NRTL Approval requirements falls on US
employers, not the product manufacturer.  Product manufacturers have
no LEGAL requirement (at least per OSHA regulations) to have their
products tested or certified by an NRTL, however, due to the
potentially destructive nature of the tests, the time and cost
involved, as well as the amount of potentially confidental or
priveleged information that must be provided to the NRTLs, most
manufacturers opt to take on the burden of having the product
certified by an NRTL.  The NRTL Certification mark that is applied to
the product can then be used by an employer to demonstrate to OSHA
that they meet the applicable approval requirements.

If your product could also be used in and around a home or school, or
is classified as a medical device, it may also be subject to CPSC
and/or FDA requirements in addition to OSHA requirements.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me directly.

Kevin Robinson
Department of Labor – OSHA
NRTL Program Engineer & Lead Auditor
Office of Technical Programs & Coordination Activities
200 Constitution Ave, NW,  Room N-3655
Washington DC 20210
Phone: 202 -693-1911
Fax: 202-693-1644