Dans experience reminded me of a guy who bought a 120 V coffee maker as a present for someone in (old) England. Having some knowledge of AC supplies he bought a 240 V to 120 V travel adaptor so the coffee maker could operate on UK 240 V mains. Unfortunately the adaptor consisted of a series rectifier diode to apply half cycles of the AC. Had the coffee maker been electro-mechanical he might have got away with it. But the maker had sophisticated electronic controls. When powered up for the first and only time the result was spectacular.

Mick
On 27/01/2012 16:26, Dan Roman wrote:
Marked 120/240V would not necessarily mean a switch needs to be flipped or a
selector moved, it could still be auto-ranging.  But something marked 120/240V
would not be expected to operate at say 150V but something rated 120-240V
should.

I would expect something marked 120/240V to operate in two ranges, at least
108-127 and 216-254 but not necessarily in-between.

I think most consumers that purchased something locally expect to be able to
plug in a device without fiddling with a switch or selector.  Probably the most
common appliance that has a voltage selector switch paid attention to is a hair
dryer during international travel after blowing up the first one!

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: John Cotman [mailto:john.cot...@conformance.co.uk]
Sent: Friday, January 27, 2012 10:35 AM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [PSES] Is this common knowledge - Electrical Ratings

Presumably:

Something marked 120-240V should run at any voltage in that range, and you'd
just need to plug it into a suitable supply (one would hope that it is also
rated to cover both 50Hz and 60Hz supplies).

A 120/240V making is an either one or the other indication, so there might
well be a selector switch.  If there is, the manufacturer would be well
advised not to be cryptic unless he likes product returns.

John C.