From:   John Woodgate <j...@jmwa.demon.co.uk>
To:     EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Date:   01/27/2012 10:45 AM
Subject:        Re: [PSES] Is this common knowledge - Electrical Ratings
Sent by:        emc-p...@ieee.org

In message <4f22e536.60...@ieee.org>, dated Fri, 27 Jan 2012, Mick
Maytum <m.j.may...@ieee.org> writes:

>Dans experience reminded me of a guy who bought a 120 V coffee maker as
>a present for someone in (old) England. Having some knowledge of AC
>supplies he bought a 240 V to 120 V travel adaptor so the coffee maker
>could operate on UK 240 V mains.

In my youth (in Britain) I used to hang around the local radio dealer.
People of my age will know what a 'line cord' is - a resistive mains
lead used to drop the heater voltage for AC/DC radios, having a series
string of 0.2 A or 0.3 A heaters.

A guy arrived one day asking for a line cord for a 120 V 2 kW heater. He
had even worked out the required resistance correctly with Ohm's Law.
Some people who are peeling the finch of the financial crisis are thinking
of
biting a rook.

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@radiusnorth.net>