In the USA, the legal perception of the public owning the spectrum is
reflected in the government not touching receivers, starting way back with
the beginnings of the FCC and the Communications Act of 1934. The government
could, and did, license and control all emitters, extending their control as
new emitters were recognized (receiver local oscillators, incidental
radiators). Because of this precedent, there was always a "hands-off"
attitude on receivers, uhh, until the money got big enough to put its thumb
on the scales. The first limitations on receivers were not allowing
receiving activity on cell-phone frequencies. This instantly made all EMI
receivers and spectrum analyzers illegal, but they eventually got around to
exempting measurement apparatus. (There was also a time when marketing of
broadband amplifiers was also illegal; protection of the 11-meter band while
the FCC thought it still had a chance.) Now, there are several restrictions
on what you can receive and what kind of apparatus is not allowed. In our
day to day testing operations, we are probably violating more than one legal
restriction. The mark of a fine bureaucracy is to have passed sufficient
legal restrictions that we are all guilty of something.

The British apparently never had the mindset of public ownership of the
spectrum, so its government had no precedent to keep it from realizing yet
another revenue stream. John & Chris, do you agree with that?

Ed Price

El Cajon, CA

USA