I'm working on a device (laboratory equipment) which will have a standard 10
amp IEC 60320 Inlet connector. We also want to supply AC Mains power to an
external device through an IEC 60320 OUTlet connector. We want to control
(switch) the OUTlet connector  with a relay so we can turn the external device
on and off.

Questions:

1.     Does the relay have to be double pole or will a single pole relay be ok
(the device can operate at either 115VAC or 230VAC in different power systems
around the globe).

2.    Does the relay have to be a safety relay or can we just control one pole
using a solid state relay which could fail open or closed? Either condition is
not likely to cause a hazard within the external device.

3.    Does power to the OUTlet connector have to be removed with the ON/OFF
switch (disconnect device) within the main instrument? Can this outlet always
be HOT or at least one leg be HOT assuming a single pole relay is open? Are
there international symbols that explain "switched" or "unswitched" outlet
connectors?

4.    If the OUTlet connector and wiring is rated to handle the same current
from the Mains Inlet, do we have to have a circuit breaker or fuse on the
Outlet? And if so, does it have to be a double pole breaker or just a single
pole ok?

As you can guess, my questions are related to there being Mains Voltages on the
Outlet connector relative to PE or Neutral when the control relay is open,
circuit breaker or fuse is open, or even when the instrument is turned off. Are
any of these conditions prohibited? The external device we are powering
(external stand-a-lone pump) has warning labels about disconnecting power cord
prior to servicing.

Thanks for any input.

The Other Brian
LECO Corporation Notice: This communication may contain confidential
information intended for the named recipient(s) only. If you received this by
mistake, please destroy it and notify us of the error. Thank you.