From: emc-p...@ieee.org [mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org]On Behalf Of Kunde, Brian
Sent: Monday, November 05, 2012 10:25 AM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: IEC 60320 Outlet Safety

I'm working on a device (laboratory equipment) which will have a standard 10
amp IEC 60320 Inlet connector. We also want to supply AC Mains power to an
external device through an IEC 60320 OUTlet connector. We want to control
(switch) the OUTlet connector  with a relay so we can turn the external
device on and off.

Questions regarding safety IEC/EN 61010-1:

1.     Does the relay have to be double pole or will a single pole relay be
ok (the device can operate at either 115VAC or 230VAC in different power
systems around the globe).
2.    Does the relay have to be a safety relay or can we just control one
pole using a solid state relay which could fail open or closed? Either
condition is not likely to cause a hazard within the external device.
3.    Does power to the OUTlet connector have to be removed with the ON/OFF
switch (disconnect device) within the main instrument? Can this outlet
always be HOT or at least one leg be HOT assuming a single pole relay is
open? Are there international symbols that explain "switched" or
"unswitched" outlet connectors?
4.    If the OUTlet connector and wiring is rated to handle the same current
from the Mains Inlet, do we have to have a circuit breaker or fuse on the
Outlet? And if so, does it have to be a double pole breaker/fuse or just a
single pole ok?

As you can guess, my questions are related to there being Mains Voltages on
the Outlet connector relative to PE or Neutral when the control relay is
open, circuit breaker or fuse is open, or even when the instrument is turned
off. Are any of these conditions prohibited? The external device we are
powering (external stand-a-lone pump) has warning labels about disconnecting
power cord prior to servicing.

We have been told in the past that switching and protection of an Outlet
Connector has to be double pole for safety, but I do not see anything
specific in the standard and this device we are working on is to be a low
cost device so we are trying to save money on the components if we can and
maintain a safe product.

Thanks for any input.

The Other Brian