Thanks to all for the comments. Your stories reminded me of an audio amp oscillating in the 20 MHz range caused by PCB layout. A cap here and a cap there fixed it. But that was a product that expected and needed EMC testing. This "passive" thing may not be as passive as I thought. And thanks to John who reminded that immunity testing will also be required.

As always, the list comes through to remind of things forgotten. Thank you.

Scott

On 7/12/2013 8:26 AM, Russell Beattie wrote:
Scott
I have also had the same experience with a similar simple circuit going into oscillation on a vehicle and causing all sorts of problems - at around the 60 to 70 MHz range.
Russ Beattie

*From:* Derek Walton <lfresea...@aol.com>
*To:* don_borow...@selinc.com; emc-p...@ieee.org
*Cc:* sdoug...@radiusnorth.net
*Sent:* Friday, July 12, 2013 11:12 AM
*Subject:* Re: EMC Required?

HI Scott,

I'd like to reinforce what Don has said. I flew to Scotland in the early days of CE with a product that should have aced emissions and we were worried about susceptibility. It failed emissions and passed susceptibility. The 3 transistor circuit was singing away around 70 MHz.

I'm always reminded of the old saying "we test to confirm our design is good"

Cheers,

Derek.