Full disclosure, I used to work at a test lab, and I now work for a
government regulator that audits test labs.

In most cases, as Richard said, test labs, except for possibly your small
local labs have accreditations from multiple accreditation bodies, all
auditing to some variant of 17025/17065/Guide 65.  This means that the labs
are subject to audits 12 or more times a year.  Now each audit may not
cover the full scope that the laboratory has, but their core QA systems are
generally being reviewed at each audit, and individual sectors (EMC,
Safety, Performance etc.) are typically audited several times a year .
 Their systems are generally pretty tight, and staff have been trained and
audited enough to make sure that they are following their own top level
procedures for the most part.  If you do audit, you might find a deficiency
in corporate level procedures, but most will be relatively minor, and are
attributed to human error/laziness.

I tell people that ask me to visit your lab(s), talk to the engineers and
your account reps.  Ask them about the standards, perhaps pick a few
sections that are confusing to you and ask them to explain them to you.  It
will become very obvious very quickly how knowledgeable they are in the
standards, and if you are new to the world of testing, how well they are
able to take a complex standard and break it down into something that you
can understand.  Take a tour of their facilities.  Try to look past all of
the glitz and focus on the condition of their storage areas and equipment.
 If things are neat and orderly, chances are, they will put the same effort
into clearly and properly recording your test results.  Also consider their
corporate culture.  Is the lab focused on customer service, clearly
explaining things to you every step of the way, or are they extremely
efficient and would prefer to just give you a report with little
communication throughout the testing process.  Find a lab that is a good
fit for your personality and your corporate culture.  As far as conducting
an audit, when you have most labs being audited by ANSI, A2LA, IAS,
NIST/NVLAP, FCC, FDA, OSHA/NRTL, Standards Council of Canada, Industry
Canada, Verizon, AT&T, EPA, IECEE/CB Scheme and many others, chances are,
you will not find any significant issues, especially if the lab has been
with the same accreditors for many years.

Kevin Robinson

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@radiusnorth.net>