Hi Everyone,

I seem to have a continuing experience with UPS equipment overheating the batteries. Most all of my UPSs have done this at one time or another. Here is an example:

At the office, I was to be away for a week and if the power went out, some of my UPSs sound an alarm which can annoy people in hotel rooms directly above the office. So I turned that UPS off. Light out, output off. No sign of life so I thought it was really off. A few weeks later I tried to turn on that UPS (we don't use that computer every day) and it immediately switched off with a bad battery alarm. A coincidence I thought that would happen just then when it worked fine last time. I went to pull the UPS out from under the desk and found it very warm, even though it was off. The battery was red hot, so hot I could not hold it and it was beginning to swell up, but I was able to remove it. The interesting thing was that APC had replaced this unit a few years ago when the original one swelled the battery so much it would not come out! I was able to replace the battery and the unit works OK now. I replaced the battery on a second identical unit just in case.

How can this happen when I turned the unit off by the button on the front and the unit seemed off, no indication any power was on at all? And why do I keep having these problems. I spent two hours taking apart another APC unit (this one had a metal case, which I like) to remover a very swollen battery with a cracked case due to the swelling. I have another of the same model which has the same problem. Not sure I want to spend two hours again on that one.

All my units are APC, and I like them for their features and reliability (except for battery problems) and will likely buy APC in the future. I suspect this problem may occur on other brands as well, a general industry problem. I could probably avoid problems by replacing batteries every year, but I still think the failure mode should be more friendly. Seems like there is a safety problem here both from overheating, spilling of the battery contents from a hot cracked case, and lack of performance suddenly when not expected.

Any thoughts? Has anyone else experienced this?

Doug

     ___          _            Doug Smith
      \          / )           P.O. Box 60941
       =========               Boulder City, NV 89006-0941
    _ / \     / \ _            TEL/FAX: 702-570-6108/570-6013
  /  /\  \ ] /  /\  \          Mobile:  408-858-4528
 |  q-----( )  |  o  |         Email:   d...@dsmith.org
  \ _ /    ]    \ _ /          Web:     http://www.dsmith.org

This message is from the IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society emc-pstc discussion
list. To post a message to the list, send your e-mail to <emc-p...@ieee.org>