Hi Doug:

A battery is never "off."  The best you can do is disconnect
it from the circuit.  Whether or not the battery is disconnected,
if the separator is damaged, the resulting chemical reaction
will heat and produce gas which will cause the battery to swell.
(Some batteries have pressure-relief vents -- which then spill
electrolyte).

As far as I know, even if the UPS is "off," the battery is
trickle-charged to keep it at 100% charge.  Like a laptop.

A battery can be damaged by over-charging or over-discharging.
Both will cause the battery to overheat.  Once the separator
is damaged, there is nothing that can be done electrically to
halt the resulting chemical reaction.

Battery circuits are designed to prevent over-charging and
over-discharging.  Such circuits should allow hundreds of
charge-discharge cycles before a battery needs to be replaced.

Batteries are also have a process known as self-discharge.  If
allowed to sit unused for a long period of time, they will self-
discharge to the point of damage with no or little chance of
recovery.

Best wishes for the New Year,
Rich