From: Kunde, Brian [mailto:brian_ku...@lecotc.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 10:23 AM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [PSES] construction machinery in USA

Though the home appliance industry has had their issues in the past, I can
testify this is no longer the case. I work within a few miles of the
headquarters of one of the largest home appliance manufacturers in the world.
I've worked with their EMC department in a cooperative effort for over thirty
years and I must say they take EMC very seriously. This market is so
competitive and their service and customer complaint records are often public
knowledge, so any major EMC issue could be quite damaging. They have a very
well equipped and well staffed EMC department. They'll even send products to
our lab for conformation testing. Also consider, that their stoves and ovens
are required to pass the immunity tests for safety approval by UL. Most such
companies are designing for a worldwide market anyway so emissions and immunity
testing is a common design requirement even in markets where is it not required.

I don't know specifically the legal requirements for construction equipment but
our EMC lab has tested such equipment in the past; for instance we performed
class A emissions testing on an electronic laser level. A friend of mine used
to work for Case Tractor in Joliet performing Immunity test on tractors and
combines. Didn't want the variable speed AC blower motor to interfere with the
12 speaker surround sound stereo system. I believe there are safety reasons to
perform emc testing as well.

The Other Brian