We want to use a small air pump, about the size of an aquarium pump,  in one of
our products (laboratory equipment). It has a small 24Vdc brushed motor without
any visible safety certification markings.

In these cases, we usually perform the locked rotor test according to IEC/UL/EN
61010-1 section 14.2. However, when we attempted this test the motor got hot
very quickly and then failed open circuit before we could get a stable winding
temperature reading. Max. temperature read was about 120ºC at 40ºC ambient.
This motor has Class F insulation which can handle 190ºC in a fault condition,
but like I said the motor failed before we could reach a stable temperature.

If the winding overheated and melted open, would this be considered a fire
hazard?  Or because something in the motor failed before the winding
temperature reached 190ºC that this motor can be considered inherently safe?

The pump manufacturer is telling us the motor is UL Recognized even though the
marking does not appear on the motor. If this motor is UL Rec. can I assume it
would pass the locked rotor test?  I have heard in the past that UL certified
motors are not always tested for locked rotor.  Is this true?

If you were me, what criteria would you require for use of such a motor in your
product?

Thank you in advance.

The Other Brian
LECO Corporation Notice: This communication may contain confidential
information intended for the named recipient(s) only. If you received this by
mistake, please destroy it and notify us of the error. Thank you.