Grace:

Putting the pre-amp directly on the antenna is the best way to use a pre-amp,
and the calibration data is what tells you if the system is good enough for
what you need. Assuming you can trust the manufacturer’s data, look at the
sensitivity (the minimum discernable field strength) that the combination of
the antenna design and the pre-amp design yields. Of course, the noise floor is
determined by the pre-amp’s first stage. Remember that you still will have to
adjust for cable loss between the pre-amp output and your analyzer input.

Be cautious about overloading the pre-amp, both in-band and out-of-band (just
because the 3115 is a 1 GHz to 18 GHz antenna doesn’t mean that it also isn’t a
300 MHz antenna; it is, it’s just a poor 300 MHz antenna). Lindgren cautions
you about that. I wonder how the amplifier handles fast pulsed or transient RF?

I’m surprised that the manufacturer provides data only for the combination of
the antenna AND pre-amp; I could often want to use the antenna without any
pre-amp.  If I sent this out for periodic re-calibration to an antenna cal lab,
I would request antenna factors for the bare antenna and the antenna plus
pre-amp. In fact, unless you are digging for the last few dB of sensitivity,
it’s good practice to not use the pre-amp. Always try for simplicity in
measurements.

Remember that you always pay for bandwidth with sensitivity. Sure, it’s nice to
cover 1-18GHz with one antenna, but I found those broadband antennas often were
very inefficient at their band edges. My choice was to use a 3115 style antenna
only from 1-12 GHz, and then switch to a K-band traditional pyramidal horn for
12-18 GHz. The 3115-style antenna AF starts to climb badly above about 15 GHz.
(I always used octave-band horns above 18 GHz, so I don’t have any experience
with the 3116-style antennas. However, the same cautions apply.) Before I would
buy a broadband antenna and pre-amplifier, I would study what’s available by
using several antennas to cover that range. True, this slows you down, and that
is also money, but only you can assign what that means to your decision.

BTW, that’s a honking big external box for the pre-amp. I certainly hope that
the box shields the pre-amp from any possible stray RF pickup.  Lindgren
vaguely mentions an “AC-DC power supply” and that tells me that the big box
doesn’t have an internal battery. Well, I can picture a wideband, K-band
pre-amp about the size of a ceramic postage stamp, so Lindgren must use that
box for something (maybe they need that area to dissipate the heat). And
remember that you will be tied to that power pack, so that means an extra wire
snaking up to your antenna. There likely will be some times when that extra
dangling cable could cause you some measurement issues (like worrying how a
strong 300 MHz field might couple into the pre-amp via its DC power cord). It
also makes field use of the antenna a problem (unless maybe you build yourself
a battery pack).

Lastly, how do you do a head-end validation of the measurement system? Do you
plan to face the new antenna into some standard emitter, or do you plan to
inject a signal into the pre-amp input? I didn’t see if Lundgren uses an SMA, N
or something exotic between the antenna output and the pre-amp input; you might
need a couple of coax adapters.

Ed Price
WB6WSN
Chula Vista, CA USA