Gert

>From my perspective, most of what you say below supports the position that
only equipment specifically intended for "totally heavy industrial
machinery/installations" should be Class A - and "everything else" should be
Class B.

Just a great pity that most of the regulators (across the World?) don't seem
agree with, or even understand, that approach, and thus get swayed by the
industry interest groups that you allude to below L.

"Industry" will often do the very least that it can get away with in order
to market their products, and that's why - in reality - Brian Kunde's
comments about many companies doing more than is required is only - at best
- partially true as a large proportion of them just plain don't.

I suspect that some are large organisations, even though most are probably
SMEs which simply don't have the financial leeway to do more than is legally
necessary (even if they would want to) in order to compete with the large
ones - therefore it must be up to the regulators to tighten the regulations
appropriately.

BTW, as for the medical installation to which you refer below, if that is in
the EU (which I assume that it is) then 2004/108/EC, and thereafter, require
installation owners to do appropriate EMC assessments, or to get appropriate
EMC "experts" to do those assessments if they themselves don't have the
relevant expertise - and the forthcoming presence of Class A ITE in a
"sensitive" installation should then have rang "alarm bells" even before it
was operated. Therefore the hospital management failed to meet their legal
EMCD requirements, as well as a failure of a general duty-of-care to their
patients!

John Allen

W.London, UK