From: Ken Wyatt [mailto:k...@emc-seminars.com]
Sent: Friday, August 12, 2016 10:02 AM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [PSES] iNARTE EMC accreditation - thoughts?

Hi James,

May I offer an alternative viewpoint to my esteemed colleagues (I guess there’s
one in every crowd)? I believe the answer to gaining iNARTE certification is
“it depends”, like so many other questions in EMC.

When NAVLAP initially proposed and promoted the idea of a NARTE certification
for EMC engineers and technicians, the only method for gaining a
"certification” was to provide 10 Q&As to help develop a question pool. At that
time, I thought, “well, that’s not going to be too meaningful to anyone who
really understands how the initial batch of 'certified' engineers obtained
their badges”, and while I thought about contributing, never did. Through the
years, though, I do believe those going through the program certainly come away
with a meaningful certification they can use to help self-promote themselves.

Back to my answer of “it depends”. If you’re an unknown quantity approaching a
potential client, then yes, I believe iNARTE certification would be at least
something you could dangle in front of them - even though they probably have
never heard of it.

On the other hand, if you’re a “known quantity”, that is, have an established
internet presence, and have published many articles and books on the subject,
then I believe that fact would be much more meaningful to a potential client.
You can now approach them with, “in fact I’ve written a book on the subject”,
and that alone will hold much more weight than any (usually unknown to them)
certification.

Cheers, Ken

_______________________

I'm here to help you succeed! Feel free to call or email with any questions
related to EMC or EMI troubleshooting - at no obligation. I'm always happy to
help!

Kenneth Wyatt
Wyatt Technical Services LLC

56 Aspen Dr.