From: Ted Eckert [mailto:000007cf6ebeab9d-dmarc-requ...@ieee.org]
Sent: Thursday, December 1, 2016 7:11 PM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [PSES] dimension of the stud for PE

The test of 2.6.3.4 does get interesting for high current equipment. I have
personally run this test only on equipment rated up to 50 A. Even then, it
required applying a 100 A test current for 4 minutes. For the 130 A rated
product, you would have a test current of 260 A applied for 8 minutes.

It may not be easy to find a ground bond tester capable of supplying this
current. I did my testing at 100 A using a transformer salvaged from a large
scrap uninterruptible power supply. It allowed me to step down a 15 A, 120 V
circuit to provide the necessary current at a voltage below the 12 V limit.
With this transformer, only a calibrated volt-meter and current-meter were
required.

One significant issue with this test setup is that additional care must be
taken to ensure operator safety. Purchased equipment often has sensors to
detect a faulty connection or other error that triggers the equipment to shut
off power quickly. You likely won’t have this in equipment you build yourself
for such testing. Proper PPE and safety precautions should be used when using
any high-power equipment, but it may be necessary to talk with your facility
safety staff as home-built equipment doesn’t come with a user manual telling
you what is required for safety.

The lower voltage used should provide some safety benefit. However, a loose
connection that comes in contact with an earth-grounded circuit may result in
significant arcing. Even low voltages should be treated with respect when you
have high current available.

Ted Eckert
Microsoft Corporation

The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my
employer.