From: ce-test, qualified testing bv - Gert Gremmen [mailto:g.grem...@cetest.nl]
Sent: Sunday, January 8, 2017 7:26 AM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [PSES] Thermal equilibrium - 10% rule

Hi Rich,

The quotient of subsequent derivatives of equidistant samples of the
temperature has a direct relation to the time constant.
TC=Timestep/(1-(dtempn+1/dtempn)) Numerically this is easy to calculate in a
spreadsheet Once the time constant is known it is easy to find the temperature
value of the 63.2% of the final temperature.

samples:

time1  - Temp1
time2  - Temp2  (Temp2-Temp1) - -
time3  - Temp3  (Temp3-Temp2) - - dtemp2/dtemp1
time4  - Temp4  (Temp4-Temp3) - - dtemp3/dtemp2

The quotients in the last column are constant for a true inverse exponential
temperature rise curve (same as a RC circuit).

Of course , only for simple constant power heating curves that are truly
exponential.
The third column will quickly show if the curve is exponential or not , if the
quotients are not all the same, something more complex is happening.

I hope this is a clear explanation....

Regards,

Ing.  Gert Gremmen, BSc

g.grem...@cetest.nl
www.cetest.nl

Kiotoweg 363
3047 BG Rotterdam
T 31(0)104152426
F 31(0)104154953

 Before printing, think about the environment.