Hi James,

Below are my inline comments!

Regards,

Scott

From: "James Pawson (U3C)" <ja...@unit3compliance.co.uk>
Date: Monday, 23 October 2017 at 11:21 PM
To: <EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
Subject: [PSES] BS-1363 UK Plugs - non recognised BSI Kitemark numbers

Hi folks,

My understanding is that three pin UK mains plugs to BS 1363 must be approved
by a notified body (Plugs and Sockets regs 1994 -
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1994/1768/made)

I’ve got a customer with a mains cord assembly that uses a BS 1363 plug with a
BSI KM number that isn’t recognised by the BSI website (I emailed them to ask
and the answer was the same). Does that automatically make it an illegal plug
or is there another approvals path for BSI kitemark that I’m not aware of?

Scott: If the issuer cannot recognise their approval number, the plug is likely
to be a counterfeit one.

No other agency or safety markings on the plug. Have emailed the manufacturer
(who claims to have VDE/BSI approval for the part) but not heard anything back
yet.

Scott: As far as I know, there is no Germany notified body for UK plug.  If the
supplier cannot provide the proof, the chance of correct plug for UK is slim.

In fact I took a few samples from my big box o’ mains cords and there were
quite a few Kite Mark numbers in there that weren’t found on the BSI website.

Scott: BSI issue a compliance certificate with the number on the plug that
normally lasts for 5 years to all approved plugs.

Yours worriedly

James

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Jim Bacher <j.bac...@ieee.org>