E = 40A/ns * 50 nH = 2,000 Volts

Doug Smith Sent from my iPhone IPhone: 408-858-4528 Office: 702-570-6108 Email:
d...@dsmith.org Website: http://dsmith.org
On Sun, Jan 7, 2018 at 8:09, Cortland Richmond <k...@earthlink.net> wrote:
We are sometimes less than precise -- but it leads to interesting discussions.

Cheers,

Cortland Richmond

-----Original Message-----
From: Ken Javor
Sent: Jan 7, 2018 9:28 AM
To: Cortland Richmond , EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [PSES] ESD question

Re: [PSES] ESD question Cortland: Faraday Law purely inductive coupling from an
ESD event doesn't cause potentials that breakdown dielectric barriers; it
induces potentials that cause bit shifts. But to answer John Woodgate’s
question literally, enough charge buildup with some capacitance eventually
yields a potential high enough to cause dielectric breakdown. Since that is
basic, I assume I misinterpreted his post.

Ken Javor
Phone: (256) 650-5261