Because one of the assumptions is lots of CM noise on the pair. The pair could
be DC to a temperature sensor and have so much common mode noise as to be a
problem.

There is lots of CM noise to deal with in this example.

Although this does not necessarily have anything to do with a DC driven
temperature sensor, that example is a significant hint.,

Doug
University of Oxford, Course Tutor
Department for Continuing Education
Oxford, Oxfordshire, United Kingdom