Hi Doug,

I figure it's the case where you have a high input impedance at the other
end (second box), or just open-ended. In that case the filed to shield
against is prevalent E-field and in that case the shield works pretty much
the same whether it's connected or not at the other end. No need to close a
current loop...

Regards,
Paolo