Phone: (256) 650-5261

From: Edward Price <e...@jwjelp.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2018 01:27:07 +0000
To: <EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
Conversation: [PSES] Field probe calibration
Subject: Re: [PSES] Field probe calibration

This is interesting, as Mr. Chen stated in ³Practical Considerations on EMC
Measurements using Field Probes² that:

³Modern probes have correction table built into the probe. Microcontrollers
inside the probes apply linearity correction. As a result, probe reading
reflects the true field value for CW signals. A user need not to correct for
this manually.²

http://ieee.rackoneup.net/rrvs/10/Zhong%20Probe.pdf

I believe Mr. Chen was referring to the Lindgren HI-6005 probe in this
example. It wasn¹t clear to me if he meant that the probe had an internal
correction table for the frequency domain, the amplitude domain or both.

I would think that isotropicity would have to be proven, not claimed,
through actual measurements at time of calibration. These probes are
operating at frequencies where even a block of Delrin can distort an
E-field. In that document, Mr. Chen presents data for the HI-6005 which
shows a +/- 1Ž4 dB variation in isotropicity (at 400 MHz & 1 GHz, but what
about 6 GHz); that¹s very impressive. I wonder if the probe¹s internal
microprocessor applies any correction factor to smooth the isotropicity?

The amplitude and frequency linearity must also be measured, because even
tiny variations in construction of the probes and electronics can cause
resonances or couplings.

·       There once was a time when we just measured whatever came out of the
manufacturer¹s antenna.

·       Then we believed that all of the manufacturer¹s antennas had the
same factory response.

·       Then we required calibration data for each antenna.

·       Then we realized that antennas can change, so periodic calibration
became a must.

·       And then we realized that calibrations needed to be done
³end-to-end² starting with a uniform applied RF field.

·       And now we realize that ³several points per octave² is not good
enough resolution.

·       And now that we have microprocessors plucking fudge factors off an
inaccessible table, we have yet another layer on this data onion, and we
have to know what it does to our raw data.

Ed Price
WB6WSN
Chula Vista, CA USA