Hello Ed -
Great story- thanks for sharing!

Just last year, we had a broken sensor head on a HI-6053.
It was built circa 2015, so it would be considered a "modern" probe.
I did the same as you and took it apart - it was already broken, so nothing
to lose!
(how many of us have been doing that since we were kids!)

The description you give of the "old" probe matches exactly what I found
inside the HI6053.
Dimensions were a bit different, and electronics are in a square box.
But the basic design of sensor and high impedance connecting cables are the
same!
I guess some designs are robust enough to survive for decades.

Thanks again for the story.

BTW- thanks also for yesterday's story about the evolution of our industry.
It reminds me that what we think is "settled" is really just the boundary
of our understanding.
And, as our understanding grows then those boundaries move too.

Always great to hear your perspective!
Thank you !

--
//