Hi Ken,

Good question, and as you already suspect, there is no clear, generic answer (and for the same reason there is no such thing as typical electronics).  Having practiced this art for decades, and teaching courses (up to five days in length) on the subject, the best we can do is to explain all possible factors that eventually the responsible designer has to take into account.

You will find pieces of the answer in various books and on the publications posted on my website, for instance
http://www.electrical-integrity.com/Paper_download_files/Ansoft_EMI_Workshop_SUN_for_22Aug07_v2.pdf

Regards,
Istvan Novak

Ken Javor wrote:
Power Integrity Question There are many learned books/papers/discussions on how to achieve proper power integrity by way of proper PCB layout and proper capacitor decoupling techniques, but what is the goal?  I don't mean the functional goal, which is obvious, but rather what is the metric?  Is it ripple voltage peak-to-peak, maximum excursion, minimum excursion, some rms value, or...?

This question is decoupled from achieving PI for the purpose of controlling radiated emissions: just asking how close to pure unadulterated dc a dc rail must be in order to be considered properly functional.

Understand the answer will be different for an analog rail vs. a digital one, and for different digital rails, but appreciate insight into what constitutes acceptable power quality for all dc rails used in a typical piece of electronics.

Thank you,

Ken Javor
Phone: (256) 650-5261

This message is from the IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society emc-pstc discussion list. To post a message to the list, send your e-mail to <emc-p...@ieee.org <mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org>>