Hi Doug:

I've always viewed the purpose of hipot testing as verification only.  During
engineering type testing, it is design verification.

I disagree.  The hi-pot test determines the minimum electric strength of the
insulation system.  Design is an indirect measure of electric strength by
selecting the distances through solid and air (clearance) insulations.
However, design rarely includes the shape of the electric field, which is a
parameter that determines electric strength.

Since hipot is so stressful to insulation…

Again, I disagree.  If the design is “good” (adequate electric strength), then
the hi-pot test does not stress the insulation system.  See Agilent
Technologies Optocoupler Input-Output Endurance Voltage Application Note 1074.

Best regards,

Rich