From: "John Woodgate" <j...@woodjohn.uk>
To: EMC-PSTC@listserv.ieee.org
Sent: 20/04/2019 08:41:51
Subject: [PSES] Dated and undated references, was: Re: [PSES] Question re: Measuring a signal in a noisy environment

I changed the Subject, because my comments on the extract below are much more general.

The heading of Clause 2 (usually the Normative references clause in the past and now always so) in IEC/EN standards has changed over the years. and since I see IEC standards being cited without the 60 000 addition to the number that took place in 1998, I guess that the changes haven't registered with some people.

This list isn't exhaustive but it illustrates the subject.

Long ago: Mostly undated references with an invitation to 'explore the use of the latest edition'.

A few years ago: IEC restricted the use of dated references to cases where a particular clause was cited in the text. Although other dated references were allowed, IEC editors discouraged that.

Latest: As a result of a legal ruling in Europe, the Commission requires all references in ENs that are to be notified in the OJ under a Directive or Regulation to be dated, and IEC committees are mostly accepting that, as they want their standards to be adopted by CENELEC.

There always has been a lot of misunderstanding on this subject.

Undated references: The essential assumption is that all future editions will be as equally applicable as the current edition is. There can be NO guarantee of that, so the committee responsible for the standard that includes the reference should (but hardly ever does) review each new edition of undated standards to check that they are still applicable.

Dated references: In this case, the user of the referencing standard knows exactly which edition of the referred standard to apply, but can misguidedly assume that the latest edition should be applied. The committee responsible for the standard that includes the reference should (but hardly ever does) review each new edition of dated standards to check that they are still applicable, and if so, amend the referencing standard at the earliest reasonable opportunity. It's obviously unreasonable to issue an amendment when each new edition is published. Normal maintenance time-scales are sufficient, although there could be exceptions, e.g. in the rare case where a dated reference standard is found to be seriously defective.

Best wishes
John Woodgate OOO-Own Opinions Only
J M Woodgate and Associates www.woodjohn.uk
Rayleigh, Essex UK