Experts:

One of my clients has a process tool for use in a controlled EMI environment,
that incorporates a plasma generator for cleaning housings before glue is
applied.  The plasma electron density is typically around 1011 cm-3

There are two parts to this question:

* an EMC test house told them that because it had a plasma generator it would
need to be EMC tested to EN 60974-10 which is for arc welders and associated
equipment. This scope of this standard says, in part, "IEC 60974-10:2014
specifies a) applicable standards and test methods for radio-frequency (RF)
emissions; b) applicable standards and test methods for harmonic current
emission, voltage fluctuations and flicker; c) immunity requirements and test
methods for continuous and transient, conducted and radiated disturbances
including electrostatic discharges. This standard is applicable to equipment
for arc welding and allied processes, including power sources and ancillary
equipment, for example wire feeders, liquid cooling systems and arc striking
and stabilizing devices."
o So the question is to continue to use EN 61000-6-2 and EN 61000-6-4 if
classified as machinery, or EN 61326-1 if classified as MCE equipment, or have
a separate report done for EN 60974-10?
o The individual tests still use the EN 61000-4-x series, but with some
modification.  It also requires testing to EN 61000-3-2, and 3-3, which would
normally be done for machinery or MCE.

* The second part is safety evaluation of the complete product.  There is
nothing in EN 61010-1 or EN 60204-1 that has the word 'plasma'.  Operator
safety meets requirements.  I am not aware of any special consideration that
needs to be given to the plasma generator.  In fairness I have not contact the
plasma generator manufacturer yet to see what if any standards their units are,
I assume, approved to.

Thought and comments greatly appreciated.