From: Monrad Monsen <monrad.mon...@oracle.com>
Sent: Monday, October 14, 2019 9:43:54 AM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG <EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
Subject: [PSES] Any Different Results in ESD Testing when Changing Brands of
ESD Simulator (IEC 61000-4-2)

Hi!
Does anyone have any stories that can be shared of a product getting a
different ESD test result when changing the brand/model of ESD simulator?

I am a member of the US Technical Advisory Group (TAG) for CISPR/I
international standards committee (Electromagnetic compatibility of information
technology equipment, multimedia equipment and receivers). There is a proposal
that SC77B begin work on changes to IEC 61000-4-2 (ESD) to improve the ESD
waveform verification (some call this “calibration”) because under today’s
rules different simulators create different levels of high frequency signal
content which some believe is the primary reason for different test results.
Some believe that the IEC 61000-4-2 waveform requirement fails to include any
evaluation of the slope (dV/dt or dI/dt) of the impulse, and that uncontrolled
parameter directly affects spectral content.  I would like to know if anyone
has experienced any actual ESD test result consistency when using different
Brand/model ESD simulators even though they are all calibrated simulators under
today’s rules.

I admit that our company uses the same brand & model ESD simulator as local
labs, so I have never observed this issue myself.  My initial preference is to
not add cost to testing and avoid forcing labs to buy new ESD simulators, but
perhaps this cost is warranted if there are actual wide variations in ESD test
results depending on the brand of ESD simulator.

Thanks.

Monrad Monsen | Hardware Compliance Strategist
Phone: +1.303.272.9612
Oracle Market Access & Hardware Compliance Strategy
500 Eldorado Blvd | Broomfield, CO 80021

<emc-p...@ieee.org<mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org>>

Instructions: http://www.ieee-pses.org/list.html (including how to
List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <sdoug...@ieee.org<mailto:sdoug...@ieee.org>>