Dan,

You mention load shedding.

I have past experience with high voltage surges on the downstream side of
disconnects or circuit protection devices when there are heavy motor loads
parallel to the equipment. Depending on the mass and speed of rotating
equipment which is coasting down to a stop, the reverse EMF is capable of
producing very high voltages until the rotating mass comes to a full stop.
The solution is usually to separate the two devices. In a similar way as
done with  coordination of overcurrent protective devices.

Best of luck, Doug