Hi Boštjan,

Note that clause 8 of the standard is relevant for controlled overvoltages.
8.7 states that the clearances from Table 8.1 are appropriate for circuits
that are "protected for the rated impulse withstand voltage peak identified
in Table 8.1. The switching test detailed in Section 12, Switching Test,
should be conducted unless circuit analysis reveals that the appropriate
protection is provided wherever Table 8.1 clearances are used."

The switching test of clause 12 specifically mentions line and load
terminals for measurements, but I think it is reasonable to apply this test
to internal voltages as well. So in this case, I believe if there is doubt
that the max peak voltages of the resonant circuit in question will never
exceed 4.0kVpk, then the test should be performed to verify. As long as the
peak voltages do not exceed that value, then it should be OK to use the
clearance from the table.

Also note that there are some shortcomings in this standard. It doesn't
require the clearance values to be adjusted due to altitude (though
altitude of the test location is considered in clause 7). It also does not
have any requirement for Double or Reinforced Insulation. The values it
presents as limits for clearance and creepage come from IEC 60664-1 for
Basic Insulation.

--
Scott Aldous | Regulatory Compliance Manager | scottald...@google.com |
650-253-1994 <(650)%20253-1994>