Hi Brian:

I found these explanations on the web:
https://www.tecategroup.com/products/capacitors/ac-safety-capacitors.php

X Capacitors: Also known as "across-the-line capacitors." Class X safety
capacitors are used between the "live" wires carrying the incoming AC current.
These capacitors are used in applications where failure of the capacitor will
not lead to risk of electrical shock to the user. A capacitor failure in this
position will usually cause a fuse or circuit breaker to open.

Y Capacitors: Also known as "line-to-ground capacitors" (line bypass). Y
capacitors are used in applications where failure of the capacitor could lead
to the danger of electrical shock to the user, if the ground connection is lost.

Filter caps are on the load (DC output) side of the rectifier.  The pulse
(charging) current through the capacitors returns to the rectifier, and then to
the AC line.  While one side of the filter caps is often connected to ground,
very little pulse current returns to the AC line via the equipment PE wire.

Because the filter caps are not directly across the line, they are not X
capacitors.

Failure of a filter cap is usually mitigated by a fuse in the AC line.

For further information on X (and Y) caps, see IEC 60384-14.

Hope this helps.  Best regards,

Rich