The keys to product modification in the field vs. maintaining certification
are -
(a) Is the field modification acceptable to the certifying body?
Ordinarily, certification is only for the product as built and shipped from
the factory, along with applicable assembly and installation instructions.
Field modification without prior approval usually would be considered to
invalidate the existing certification, unless the modification is trivial
for safety purposes. If the factory inspector from the certifying body
would accept the same modification done in the factory without comment,
then you may be OK.
(b) Who has responsibility - manufacturer, importer, distributor or
user/customer?  The certification from the manufacturer will cover a
specific construction, configuration and usage. However, an end user
certainly can get certification for machinery that has been considerably
modified from what the manufacturer provided.  Of course that would require
a new DofC and CE Marking.
But if the manufacturer provides the means to do the modification, then the
manufacturer apparently is accepting responsibility - even if the
modification has not been accepted by the certifying body and therefore
invalidates the certification!

Best regards,
John McBain

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html