Hello from Bend, Oregon:

On September 4, 2022, a plane carrying 10 people crashed into Puget Sound's
Mutiny Bay near Whidbey Island.  The National Transportation Safety Board,
which investigated the crash, said Thursday that a single component of a
critical flight control system failed, causing an unrecoverable,
near-vertical descent.

"The Mutiny Bay accident is an incredibly painful reminder that a single
point of failure can lead to catastrophe in our skies," NTSB Chair Jennifer
Homendy said in a news release.

Nate Bingham, who is representing the Ludwigs' families, said the plane
crashed because of "an antiquated design with a single point of failure."

Details:
https://apnews.com/article/seaplane-crash-puget-sound-san-juan-island-10-kil
led-531d4e5a2dfed65370294243b1a07157

This incident serves to remind us that in our field of product safety, we
require the product to be safe even in the event of a failure of any single
component.

Best regards,
Rich

Boats from the U.S. Coast Guard and Kitsap County Sheriff's Office search
the area off Whidbey Island north of Seattle on Sept. 5, 2022, where a
chartered floatplane crashed the day before, killing 10 people. Stephen
Brashear/AP file

https://www.mail-archive.com/emc-pstc@listserv.ieee.org/

Website:  https://ewh.ieee.org/soc/pses/
Instructions:  https://ewh.ieee.org/soc/pses/list.html (including how to