Hi Bostjan,

Thanks for your feedback, but...

I am slowly and carefully reading 62368-1 for the first time.
It defines 'external circuit' in 3.3.1.1 as "electrical circuit that is external to the equipment and is not mains". I assumed one device = one equipment so I thought laptop is an equipment. After your post I checked how equipment is defined in 62368-1 but in 3.3 there is no equipment definition so I don't know what is equipment. May be USB device (pendrive) connected without cable to laptop can be assumed being its part, or even device powered by USB (mouse, keyboard) can be assumed being its part, but USB can be used to connect other equipment, I think. Do laser printer being powered separately from mains connected to laptop is understood as being internal part of equipment? Laptop is probably manufactured by someone else than laser printer. They can't assume they manufacture single equipment, I think. In past I have read about USB being used to connect active wifi antenna located on the roof (with few hubs to extend connection length). Having all that in mind it is hard for me to accept that for 62368-1 USB is equipment internal circuit.

Now.
If we assume laptop with connected to it mouse, external keyboard and printer is one equipment then going to my field: do the access control controller with RFID readers connected to it by RS485 is also one equipment (all powered from one 12V supply, and located in one building) making RS485 connection being internal equipment circuit?
I don't think so.

And I repeat my main question regarding 5.4.11: Do the access controller permanently connected to 12V supply that is permanently connected to mains is permanently connected equipment? I think yes. Even 12V supply has isolation in it. If I change understanding of equipment and assume that controller + 12V supply are one equipment than thinks get easier - such understood equipment is permanently connected. But is it one equipment if controller is manufactured by someone other then 12V supply.

Best regards
Piotr Galka