Hi James,

Thank you for drawing attention to this but my sentence was in context of 62368-1 only.

When in 2004 (few days after we joined EU) I went with my devices for the first time to EMC lab (it was an internal company laboratory that also offered external services) they didn't had a capacitors needed in surge testing transmission lines. So we tested them using only 40 ohm resistor. Since then I design my not isolated RS485 to withstand 25A 50us current pulse (Surge generator loaded with 40ohm gives current pulse of a shape rather like its voltage pulse then its current pulse). As I have encountered EMC problems in 90s (devices with RS485 having only ICs ESD protection routed between buildings standing on the top of hill were hanging after every storm) I was well prepared in 2004 and they were surprised that all my devices passed all the tests for the first time.

Regards
Piotr