colin wrote:
 > Method 1
 >
 > Using the parport config to send a step signal and a direction signal for
 > each axis. Run these signals into a stepper driver chip which is configured
 > for the stepper phase that I require. This method should leave a few extra
 > pins on my parallel port to play with later.

this is the way most parallel port EMC setups are done.

 > Method 2
 >
 > Use the functionality of the stepgen module to perform the required stepper
 > phase for each axis. Amplify each signal into the motor. This method will
 > use up more parallel port pins depending on the amount of coils in the
 > stepper that I purchase, I may even need another port if 5 phases is
 > required.

i have a small mill that works like this.  it requires a small
shim driver to generate the correct phases at the correct times
for my motors.

i'd say, if you're still choosing your hardware, to choose
something with step and direction signals.  and, as someone else
said, consider buying something off-the-shelf that's already
known to be supported by EMC.  (of course, your choice will be
dictated by how much you want to spend, and by how much time you
want to spend using your mill vs building your mill.  sometimes
building is more fun than using.  :-)

paul
 paul fox, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (arlington, ma, where it's 38.5 degrees)