If you think the task can be done either way, the choice of using
classicladder or writing your own realtime component as a .comp or .c
file is yours.  Personally I am not skilled at creating ladder diagrams,
so I'd write a .comp.  We've tried to make installing your own
components easy, using "sudo comp --install".

>From the standpoint of safety, a classicladder rung and a realtime
component are just about the same: if something (like a bug in an
unrelated component) would stop one from running, it would stop the
other.

Jeff