Hi Till,

Till Harbaum / Lists wrote:
> Hi,
>
> since i couldn't find any simple gcode editor and since i wanted to do some
> simple tests i started to add some gcode output for xfig/fig2dev.

I use xfig for making drawings in general for years but it's an outdated
X tool and it shows. Vector based graphics like Karbon14 or Inkscape
would most likely be better tools to adapt for editing G-code IMO. It's
my guess that it would make it possible to "port" G-code information,
i.e. include pictures of it's effects in other applications, Open Office
and who knows what else.

> Up to now (after two hours work) only straight lines are supported (and thus
> polygons and everything that's composed of lines), but adding more features
> shouldn't be too difficult.
>
> I wondering if i am doing a useless job since someone else already did this
> or
> there's some other editor i am missing. Do you know of something as simple as
> xfig being able to write gcode? Do you think such an xfig patcg would be a
> useful contribution?

Inkscape, scalable vector graphics tool for example, creates documents
in XML and includes simple XML editor. With multilayer capabilities you
could represent G-code functions depending on tools selection, colors or
line styles for different tools, etc.

> For future versions i am e.g. thinking about using the "line width" of xfig
> select tools and the layers of xfig for different z-values. Do you think this
> makes sense? If there something the color or line style could be mapped to?
>
> Till
>
> -
Thanks,

--