Here is what I get:

----------------------------
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~/Desktop/emc2/emc2cvshead$ halcmd help
RTAPI: ERROR: could not open shared memory (errno=19)
HAL: ERROR: rtapi init failed
halcmd: hal_init() failed: -9
NOTE: 'rtapi' kernel module must be loaded
----------------------------

I'm guessing I need to create the /dev devices and run
/etc/init.d/realtime start, right?

Andy

John Kasunich wrote:
> Andrew Ayre wrote:
>> Thanks for the suggestion. I gave it a try:
>>
>> ./configure ....
>> make
>> sudo make install
>>
>> I then ran the script to create the devices. Unfortunately "halcmd help"
>> still segfaults for a non-root user. Any ideas?
>>

> Try the run-in-place method:
>
> (from the top of your checkout)
> cd src
> ./configure --enable-run-in-place
> make
> sudo make setuid
> cd ..
> scripts/emc-environment
> halcmd help
>
> If that works, but the installed version doesn't, it points to a problem
> with make install, and more importantly it rules out a whole class of
> possible problems.
>
> Regards,
>
> John Kasunich

Andy